"Come together" for a volunteering experience with Oltumo Maasai Project! We are looking for enthusiastic and dedicated volunteers to come for a journey to live, work, and grow with us. You will help us continue to develop our foundation as a project following a conscious code of ethics and striving to always stay mindful of our actions. We are in the bush just outside the Maasai Mara National Reserve, amongst local Maasai villages, their livestock, and wild animals. Here we are working on creating this 1 1/4 acre space for a true and mutual 'coming together' of cultures that can help rebuild resilience for the Maasai and create life-changing experiences and connections for volunteers.
Some photos of our times during the first 6-month phase of Oltumo Maasai Project
"All volunteers arriving this season, including me, said they had a great time. A frequent comment was that it was really good to be part of genuine project. A lot of work was completed accompanied by a lot of laughter. Volunteers left with new skills, new friends, and having left their creative mark on the project. I was there for 9 weeks and noticed how Steve created an atmosphere where people felt valued and respected and wanted to work. If you want to work, learn new skills, make a difference and have fun then I suspect you will find it hard to join a better project than this."
-John Clarke, Volunteer from New Zealand
What we expect
- minimum 2 week stay, preferably a month, but the longer the better really.
- 200KSH/day (just over $2USD) to cover food which we shop for at the local market and cook together.
- This covers 3 solid meals, some snacks, and instant coffee or Kenyan tea, but please be understanding that if you want specialty foods they are closest three hours away and the cost is up to you or we'd be broke.
- a positive attitude and willingness to help.
- willingness to work at least 5 hours a day, 5 days a week, or as much as needed according to the present task. Of course, we communicate openly and are relaxed about this, but we need a standard and don't want anyone to think that they can come and be lazy!
- respect for the local Maasai.
- respect for our project's ethics.
Please read our Volunteer info Pack for hopefully all of the information that you will need to make a decision of whether volunteering with Oltumo is right for you and us.
To apply or inquire about volunteering. Please read the above Info Pack, and send us an email at email@example.com or use this contact form.
If you are applying, please help us to best prepare for your arrival and make the most use of your skills, as well as provide you with the most beneficial experience possible by covering the following questions in your email.
1. What interests you about Oltumo Maasai Project.
2. Do you have any previous knowledge of or experience with Permaculture, teaching, or sustainable project/work? If so, what is your experience?
3. What skills do you have to offer which would be able to help Oltumo Project and the Maasai?
4. Do you have any particular area of interest which you may be able to lead workshops or facilitate courses for the Maasai in? We will provide translators of course.
5. Are you comfortable being able to pay the 200ksh fee to cover your food costs and live in a communal setting?
6. Is there anything else we should know about you? Describe yourself a bit.
Our Growing International Oltumo Family
Non-Maasai Volunteers from Phase 1, January - May, 2015